Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Sketching from Memory...

Recently I've been perusing lots of art blogs. Art is a great passion of mine. Anyway, during that time I came across a post (can't remember where, I've been to so many blogs lately) in which the artist/blog owner had been drawing from memory. This inspired me to try the same technique. Except I drew further inspiration from a post on another blog about self portraits. I decided to combine the two, and draw a self portrait from memory.

I've never really been great at drawing/sketching people, not my strong suit. Which is all the more reason to give it another try, and why not in my art journal, right. Overall, I'm quite pleased with how it turned out; aside from one little mistake that I'm not proud of. But it happened, I can't change it, I won't change it - it creates character. I've accepted it. I truly love the sketch though, simply because I challenged myself and it turned out better than I expected. Can't argue with that. ^_^

I took two photos of the sketch, one is crisper. But I liked both shots, and couldn't decide which to use.

Here is my sketch, please be gentle when critiquing. I know it's not perfect, it doesn't have to be. It's my first portrait sketch since 2003-2004. I think I did fairly well.


Can you see the mistake I referred to above? Ok, I'll tell you. Her right eye is unbalanced. It's off center, should have been more toward the nose, lined up with the strand of hair hanging down her face. But alas, it is what it is.

Until next time, embrace your creativity.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...